Strategically Managing the Training Function
Who should attend?
- Training managers, training directors, and training coordinators
- Instructors, trainers, and subject-matter experts
- Anyone who manages or coordinates training activities and wants their training department to deliver value to their organization
“I’m a manager, not a trainer!” Training is a service you provide to your organization. In this powerful and valuable workshop, you will learn how to align your training department’s services to your organization’s objectives. By the end of this workshop, you will be able to define the value that your department delivers and market that value within your organization.
The role of a manager is to supervise and guide. In this workshop you will learn the 5 major components of the training function: Strategy, Project Management, Learning Structure, Instructor Evaluation, and Return on Investment. You will learn how to evaluate the work of your department by getting hands-on practice in each of the 5 areas. As a result, you will be equipped with the skills to manage your department effectively and efficiently.
Even if you have never been a trainer before, this workshop will provide you with the tools you need to manage a training operation. We will show you how to apply your management skills to the field of training and development.
- We will give you practical, how-to skills that are immediately applicable to your job.
- Your workshop will be fun and entertaining; plus, you will learn more than you ever thought was possible.
- You can expect a relaxed and non-threatening learning environment.
- We limit attendance to allow maximum participation and feedback.
What You Will Learn:
- Identify the stakeholders in the training process.
- Obtain senior management support for your training strategy.
- Identify the core competencies of your training audience.
- Market the value of your department.
- Evaluate external training vendors.
- Decide when to design and when to buy.
- Write internal training proposals.
- Define the scope of training projects.
- Identify the potential risks and obstacles to success.
- Obtain the necessary people and budgetary resources.
- Develop your team into a high-performing group.
- Identify situations that require training needs analysis.
- Use the SCOPE™ method to determine the cause of the performance issue.
- Determine the length of the training.
- Calculate the time needed to design training.
- Structure the sequence of the content.
- Select or hire the right instructor candidates.
- Evaluate instructor classroom performance.
- Evaluate instructional designer performance.
- Create an on-going trainer development plan.
Return on Investment
- Calculate the cost of training and not training.
- Calculate the potential benefits of training.
- Calculate the return on investment of the training solution.
- Recommend post-training reinforcement activities.
- Write a final project report.